Exemptions from NHS Charges

The NHS requires a patient to meet one or more of the follow criteria to qualify as exempt.


“You do not have to pay for NHS dental treatment if, when your treatment starts, you are:

  • under 18
  • under 19 and in full-time education
  • pregnant or you’ve had a baby in the 12 months before treatment starts

  • staying in an NHS hospital and the hospital dentist carries out your treatment
  • an NHS Hospital Dental Service outpatient (although you may have to pay for your dentures or bridges)

You can also get free NHS dental treatment if, when the treatment starts or when you’re asked to pay:

  • you’re included in an award of Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit guarantee credit
  • you’re named on, or entitled to, a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate
  • you’re named on a valid HC2 certificate


If you're named on a valid HC3 certificate, you may not have to pay for all your NHS dental treatment.


You will NOT be exempt from paying for NHS dental treatment because you receive one of the benefits below when paid on their own:

  • Incapacity Benefit
  • contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit savings credit ”

(NHS Dental)

Proof of Exemption

Proof of full or partial exemption must be provided before the start of your first appointment, this includes check ups. For detail on what is considered adequate proof please refer to the information on the NHS HC11 leaflet Help with health costs (PDF, 287.1kb).


If you cannot produce the necessary evidence, you will be expected to pay the full fee before being seen.


Help with paying dental costs and Claiming back payments

Help towards paying dental costs is available to some. If you believe you are entitled to help with your fees you should fill in a HC1 form available from reception or the following link  http://www.dsdni.gov.uk/hc1.pdf


If you have paid, but believe you are entitled to full or partial exemption, you can apply to claim back this money by obtaining receipts from your payments (available from reception) and filling in a HC5 from. You can obtain a HC5 form from the following places: